San Jose, California
First opened in 1908, the Carnegie Library is the oldest public library in Santa Clara County. In 1990, it was added to the National Registry of Historic Places. With its distinctive wooden columns, the library is regarded as one of San Jose’s most important landmarks, and in 1990 it was recognized in the National Registry of Historic Places.
While preserving the 3,400 sq. ft. historic library, a 9,000 sq. ft. replacement addition features a brand new Family Learning Center and Community Room. Umerani’s solutions incorporated historically-sensitive design methods to keep this landmark a part of the community into the next century.